Chateau de Labourdonnais (visite & tour guidé)
|Heures de service||09:00 - 17:00|
|Jours Opérant||Tous les jours|
|Heure de L'Activité||Flexible|
|Transports||Offert en Supplément|
Contactez-Nous+230 269 1000 Ecrivez-nous
Visit & Tour of Château de Labourdonnais - Overview
Discover one of the jewels of the Mauritian national heritage - a place where history, flora, orchards, gastronomy, local "savoir-faire" and "savoir-vivre" coexist. The iconic Château de Labourdonnais offers you the chance to immerse yourself into the 19th century art of living, along with a visit to the estate and complimentary juice and rum tasting.
You will witness the French charm of the place and also get to learn about the rhumerie and other products manufactured on the estate. As you roam the estate gardens, you may even have the chance to spot the Aldabra Tortoises enjoying their royal life.
Highlights of this site:
- Enjoy a visit to “a Château” in a natural setting where history is beautifully merged with architecture, flora, orchards, cuisine and Mauritian expertise
- Marvel at the beautifully decorated rooms in the Château, with vintage decor, furnishings, and dining ware
- Learn more about the Château as you watch a short film and view the different exhibitions
- Amazing opportunity to taste the products from the distillery or the orchards
- Catch a glimpse of giant Aldabra tortoises grazing peacefully or relax under the shade of century old trees
Visit & Tour of Château de Labourdonnais - Inclusions
- Entrance fees
- Visit of the "Château"
- Visit of the Gardens & Orchards
- Free Fruit Jellies Tasting
- Free Juice & Rum Tasting
- Explore the Underground Museum
- Tour the animal farm
- The Boutique: Opportunity to buy authentic and local products
Transport is available for an additional supplement and will include pick up and drop off from any hotel / place of accommodation in Mauritius.
Vous pouvez choisir parmi une sélection de types de véhicules:
All drivers speak fluent English and French (Upon special request we can organise drivers who speak additional languages). The drivers, citizens of Mauritius, will be happy to provide you with information about Mauritius and each of its sights.
All drivers are very professional, time efficient and friendly. There is high emphasis on being always on time and providing reliable devoted service to customers.
Mapou, North Region
|Visit of the Chateau:||09:00 - 17:00 (last admission at 16:00)|
|The Boutique:||09:00 - 17:00|
|Duration:||The duration of the entire visit is about 1 hour|
|The tour is offered every day|
Visit & Tour of Château de Labourdonnais
This visit and tour of Chateau de Labourdonnais is a ballad back in history. With a visit to the Chateau, its gardens and orchards, this package guarantees a beautiful moment of quietness with a touch of history to it.
The visit does not stop inside the Château de Labourdonnais. You are invited to discover the sublime estate housing the Mauritian colonial building; a magical place cut off from the world, where history, nature, gastronomy and Mauritian know-how come together. To make it all even sweeter, you will have the opportunity to taste some fruit jellies and rum made at the estate.
That’s not all! You’ll also have the opportunity to make some new friends at the animal farm, as well as tour the beautiful underground Museum, where you can take a trip in history.
Tour of the Château de Labourdonnais
Built in 1856 and inhabited by a Mauritian family for over 150 years, the Château de Labourdonnais invites visitors to discover the 19th-century art of living in Mauritius. Intendance trees (Ficus Retusa) stand on the sides of the path leading up to the Château de Labourdonnais, where an exciting historical and cultural visit awaits.
Let the French flair of the place transport you through time as you walk through the rooms and halls of the Chateau. Some elements of the building have been restored and every element is an ode to the French colonisation era of the island.
Visit of the Château de Labourdonnais Gardens, Orchards and Fruit Jellies Tasting
After visiting the château, you can stroll through the lush gardens and old orchards where large fairways invite you for a promenade, displaying the horticultural wealth of the region.
As part of the tour of the gardens you will get to see hundred-year-old mango trees, spice trees such as nutmeg and clove, as well as several exotic fruit trees such as the pomme jacot, the sapote, the jamalac and the Kythira plum. During the walk in the gardens, you will come across giant Aldabra tortoises grazing peacefully.
Furthermore, the large orchards used for fruit cultivation such as papayas, mangoes, guavas or passion fruit are used in the manufacturing of the Labourdonnais product range preserving the traditional flavours without the use of any colorings or artificial flavours. Your visit includes a tasting session of the fruit jellies made at the estate. A sweet moment you would want to last longer.
The Distillery and Rum Tasting
In an attempt to diversify its sugarcane production activity, Domaine de Labourdonnais created La Rhumerie des Mascareignes in 2006, which was later renamed La Distillerie de Labourdonnais. This distillery combines unique know-how and quality rums to produce original recipes for tastefully authentic rums.
You are welcomed to discover the world-famous ranges of rums, which were proudly awarded ten medals over the years by various programmes praising the quality of liquors. The ranges of rums are appreciated for their finesse and conservation methods.
Your visit includes a rum tasting session. This opportunity to taste some of the finest rums of the estate will be one of the highlights of your visit.
The distillery produces the following ranges of rum:
- Classic range
The "Classic" range comprises different white and amber rums, offering different aromas and flavours for rum enthusiasts’ greatest pleasure.
- Fusion range
The "Fusion" range offers a selection of refined rums made from fruits and spices harvested on Domaine de Labourdonnais. The mix results from a natural maceration of fruits and spices from their orchards, which are then fermented for up to three months before being filtered and bottled.
The flavours available are: vanilla, species, ginger, coffee-vanilla, calamondin and lemongrass.
- Prestige range – Old rums
The rum cellar holds several types of barrels and the rums are aged in old Cognac, Bourbon, Port or American Whisky barrels, as well as new Sauternes and French oak casks. These ageing processes enhance the different rums, giving them their exceptional aromas.
In addition to the visit of the Château de Labourdonnais, you can also enjoy visiting
- The Boutique - La Boutique du Château offers many typically Mauritian souvenirs and gifts, as well as Domaine de Labourdonnais products, local craftsmen’s confections, clothes and decorative objects.
- La Table du Château - a unique refined cuisine inspired by the fruits and vegetables from the Labourdonnais’ orchards in a contemporary setting which offers a culinary experience that leads to the discovery of the Mauritian flavours. Open 8am to 11pm every day & 8am to 3pm on Sunday - Booking recommended.
- La Terrasse: La Terrasse is a warm café with a convivial atmosphere. It offers a simple and tasty cuisine, comprising typical Mauritian dishes and other more European options like salads, sandwiches, paninis, toasties, quiches and pasta. Open for breakfast, lunch and afternoon coffee breaks, La Terrasse is a peaceful place full of charm. Open 7.45am to 5pm from Monday to Friday & from 8am to 12.30pm on Saturdays (except on public holidays)
- La Corbeille: La Corbeille is a delicatessen offering a variety of local products, including those made by Les Vergers de Labourdonnais and La Distillerie de Labourdonnais – jams, fruit pastes and juices, rums as well as a selection of imported products. La Corbeille also offers fruits & vegetables, ensuring it sells only the freshest ingredients and greatest quality products.
- Last admission is at 16.00
- Guests must leave their backpack & drink bottles at the entrance.
- No flash is allowed while taking pictures.
- Guests are not allowed to touch anything in the Château.
- The Château de Labourdonnais is also available for events and private functions (receptions, weddings, cocktails…). Contact us for more info.
- La Boutique, La Corbeille, and the 2 restaurants are subject to an extra cost, payable onsite.
- No alcohol included in the children’s tasting.
- Château ground floor is accessible to wheelchairs with the help of our staff. Virtual visit to the 1st floor is possible from the ground floor.
- The Underground museum is not accessible to wheelchairs.
|Château de Labourdonnais (Visit & Tour)|
|Price per Adult||13 Euros|
|Price per Child (ages 5-12)||9 Euros|
|Visit of Château Museum Animal Farm - Adults|
|Price per Adult||17 Euros|
|Price per Child (ages 4-12)||13 Euros|